Caring For: Electronic Media
CCI has a variety of print and online resources to help with the care and conservation of electronic media.
The following links to basic information of a general nature for the care and conservation of electronic media.
CCI Notes deal with topics of interest to those who care for cultural objects. Intended for a broad audience, CCI Notes offer practical advice about issues and questions related to the care, handling, and storage of cultural objects. Many CCI Notes are illustrated, and provide bibliographies.
CCI Technical Bulletins and Other Print Publications
Technical Bulletins provide detailed information of a specialized technical nature about selected conservation and care-of-collections topics, current techniques and principles of conservation of use to curators and conservators of cultural artifacts.
- Preservation of Electronic Records: New Knowledge and Decision-making – Postprints
- TB # 23 Guidelines for Humidity and Temperature for Canadian Archives
- TB #18 Fire Prevention Programs for Museums
- TB #25 Disaster Recovery of Modern Information Carriers: Compact Discs, Magnetic Tapes and Magnetic Disks
- TB #27 Remedies for Deteriorated or Damaged Modern Information Carriers
Browse or buy other CCI Publications.
Additional CCI links and information that may be relevant to the care and conservation of electronic media.
Other heritage or conservation institutions also offer useful advice or helpful information that may be relevant to the care and conservation of electronic media. These sites are external to CCI.
- 19/19 Care of Archival Compact Disks 1996
- 19/20 Care of Archival Digital and Magnetic Media 1996
- 19/8 Preservation of Magnetic Media 1993
- 22/5 Digital Storage Media 2010
- AIC- Caring for Your Treasures - Home Videotape
- Care and Handling of CDs and DVDs: A guide for librarians and archivists.
- Iraci J. The Cold Storage of CD, DVD, and VHS Tape Media. Restaurator Vol. 32, p. 81-109, 2011.
- Iraci, J. The Relative Stabilities of Optical Disc Formats. Restaurator Vol. 26, No. 2 (2005).
- Iraci, J. The Stability of DVD Optical Disc Formats. Restaurator Vol. 32, p. 39-59, 2011.
- Iraci, Joe. The Effect of Jewel Cases on the Stability of Optical Disc Media. Restaurator Vol 33, p.17-47, 2012.
- Library and Archives Canada (LAC): Guidelines for Physical Digital Storage Media
- Library of Congress – Cylinder, Disc and Tape Care in a Nutshell
Still need help with the care and conservation of heritage objects?
If you are a heritage institution or heritage professional, you can also request a service, register for training, or contact CCI for conservation advice or assistance. CCI’s mandate is to support the Canadian heritage community in preserving Canada’s heritage collections so they can be accessed by current and future generations.
Members of the general public are encouraged to seek advice from conservators for the care of personal objects. Appraisers can help you with questions concerning the value of your personal objects.
If you are interested in learning more about the history of a personal object, you can contact your local museum. The Canadian Museums Association has an online list of museums across Canada searchable by name or province.